Shelly with relay and several push-button switches

• Hello mcfanda ,

wellcome to the forum! :)

The installation must be completely changed. For the relay the Shelly is installed, see scheme -> connection diagrams Shelly 1 -> Button circuit

• Hi mcfanda , welcome here. :)

I wish you success for your project.:thumbup:

• Well, it seems that (at least in Italy), many relays are installed this way (the scheme I posted is actually in the relays installer manual). For these cases, someone suggested this scheme (it's for Shelly2.5, but the idea is the same), what do you think?

schemaok3.jpg

• Well, it seems that (at least in Italy), many relays are installed this way (the scheme I posted is actually in the relays installer manual). For these cases, someone suggested this scheme (it's for Shelly2.5, but the idea is the same), what do you think?

ciao mcfanda, even if in Italy there are very strange electricians around, the first picture you posted has to me a main mistake. The switches control the neutral N and not the phase L. It means that in case the rele' get stuck you have the phase L out on the lamp whilst the lamp is still off (switches not pressed). If you put your hands on the lamp connections you get the current in your hands and that is not acceptable by our legislation (normative elettriche). But yes, I know that people did it in the past in a lot of houses.

I am still a beginner in shelly world but I think your latest architecture in the pic could be simplified. I do not see why you still need to use two relais.

saluti, Mauro

• Thanks for the reply. The two relays are there only as an example (it was the only scheme I found compatible with my existing installation), the important point is that shelly could work receiving the output from the relay and being not directly in control of it and the push-buttons. Also in italy the new legislation requires to mount the relay and the push-buttons with the phase line, but my house was wired before that legislation.

Anyway, I've installed the shelly following the last scheme I posted (with only one relay) and it works just fine, so far. One needs to adjust the operation of the shelly as a button, but eventually it is operational. A good quality relay is needed, because it may stay active for long time.

thanks again

mc

• My push buttons interrupt the Neutral. To mount following the scheme you posted I need to rewire half the house, because the push buttons are located more than 30mt away one each other (they control the terrace lights from different rooms).

Am I missing something?

I'm still interested in your solution because I've other circuits like this. Thanks for the help

• ok I see. Understanding that the SW input signal in the Shelly needs the L to trigger the output then you have troubles in your house because you can only manage the N . The rele' is needed to "switch" from N to L. Probably yes it is the only way to get it working

But.... try another way. Probably you don't need to rewire the entire house. You could only change position of the wire in the box from N to L. It's 1 minute task BUT you would have a phase L in a wire with colour BLUE: not good at all even if you place labels at beginning and end of the wire.

Other possibility (5 minutes task) is to replace the blue wires with red ones or brown just by connecting new to old and then pull out the old from the box until the new is in place. Then switch position of the wire from N to L in the box but in this case using the correct wire colour coding.

But.... try another way. Probably you don't need to rewire the entire house. You could only change position of the wire in the box from N to L. It's 1 minute task BUT you would have a phase L in a wire with colour BLUE: not good at all even if you place labels at beginning and end of the wire.

I was thinking about this. I also need to cut the N arriving at the first pushbutton. I think it will work. Thanks again.