Operate Philips Hue with Shelly

• I have shelly's everywhere in the house, but now I bought a Philips Hue for one location. I want to operate the light with the Shelly 1, using detached mode. I can talk to the Hue lights trough the hue bridge, but I have to send data in a PUT command: http://<bridge_local_ip>/api/<bridge_username>/lights/11/state -> {"on":true}. As far as I found out, Shelly doesn't offer this.

I am a bit lost how to solve this. I thought about:

- making an url that contains javascript to send the put command (but obviously shelly doesn't execute the script)

- asking developers to support this (seems a bit slow)

- adjusting the firmware myself (too complicated and no more updates)

- trying with MQTT (but I need a device for this and seems quite complicated)

- flashing the shelly with custom firmware (which firmware to choose?)

Where would you start? Any other plans?

Thanks!

• Hi,

if you install a higher-level system such as IOBroker, all options are open to you.

I tend not to believe that something like this will be implemented in the firmware.

• I have shelly's everywhere in the house, ...

it's usually just a matter of time, by a growing number of sensors, actuators and complexity, that a higher level system becomes the best option (eg. IOBroker, openHab, Home Assistant, ...). In the meantime, for a Shelly 1 I would evaluate Tasmota firmware. It has a powerful macro "language" and can send http commands.

• I don't have a solution but have to say, your question is rather interesting! So far I've never thought about accessing the Hue bridge directly and always thought a system like Home Assistant is the only option.

I'm not entirely sure: Tasmota does have Hue emulation, but I don't think it's fully supported and cannot perform your feature.

• I hope that the developers will reconsider the option of switching hue bulbs on and off.

I use home assistant but also like to use my normal wall switches to turn on my mood lights (hue).

Now i use it to turn on the hue lights the normal way by powering on and off.

• I have shelly's everywhere in the house, but now I bought a Philips Hue for one location. I want to operate the light with the Shelly 1, using detached mode.

I've just set this up using NodeRed. I have my Shelly 1L sending events out via MQTT, and a workflow in NodeRed picks those up, runs a little bit of logic around the time of day, and sets the lights to a scene accordingly. Nothing fancy, just bright during the day and progressively dimming down into the evening.

So far works smooth as silk, aside from the 1L hanging on occasion, which was an issue before I setup the above workflow.