Shelly 1L light always on

• Raising a ticket will not help you, unless you have bought the devices directly from them. Otherwise, as is my case, they will suggest the "updating and tapping" (which does not solve the issue) and then suggest you to contact the distributor from whom you have bought the devices.

• Thanks SebMai, will raise a ticket.

Kuba Ka - did they seriously suggest to knock it 5 times..? What kind of fix is that?!

Which firmware does that link get you? 1.9.3 or something else?

Thinqer77, hahaha! yes! I know! This is exact copy-paste from my support ticket :)

Fortunately I have bought devices directly from them, so I am now following the replacement procedure.

In terms of the firmware, it tried to update me to 1.9.3, but since that was the version of the firmware already installed, it ended up doing nothing.

• People, be aware!
    Shelly's replacement procedure in a nutshell:

1. send us the faulty stuff
    2. we will then send you a coupon code
    3. so you can buy hopefully faultless stuff from our store as a 'regular customer' and wait for the package for another 4-5 weeks!

Which means that, not only I have been unlucky to receive faulty devices, I have also just been pushed to the very back of the queue for a new devices.

Well done Shelly, great customer support!

• Kuba Ka sorry but you are talking shit.

Most time you have only to send some Videos, that they can see it's faulty and not a customer issues, than you get a coupon for a new device without sending the faulty device back.

Waiting time yes perhaps, but better than paying for a new one, what you have to do by the most other sellers.

• Kuba Ka sorry but you are talking shit.

Most time you have only to send some Videos, that they can see it's faulty and not a customer issues, than you get a coupon for a new device without sending the faulty device back.

Well SebMai, if anyone is talking shit here is you:

uxA7Bpr.png

Waiting time yes perhaps, but better than paying for a new one, what you have to do by the most other sellers.

Seriously??? "better than paying for a new one"??!!

Call me naive, but when I am buying new devices from the manufacturer, I expect that they are faultless and in a case they are not, they HAVE TO replace them with the faultless devices! An it is not a favour, it is their duty!

This whole Shelly thing becomes more and more ridiculous.

Edited once, last by Kuba Ka ().

• You mean you tried to switch on/off 15-20 times and it got unstuck and remained unstuck afterwards?

Can you confirm it is still working fine?

Same problem here. Knocking the Shelly 1L (pretty hard) appeared to fix the issue. It worked perfectly after... until I put it in into the wall and screwed the faceplate back on. Neither the switch nor the app now works to turn off/on. Lights are stuck on.

• Hi everyone.

Have a 1L that keeps sticking on as well, beat the little bugger with the handle of a scewdriver, and we are gold for a few days and then remains on agin!! Reseting has no effect other than a few well placed taps to the unit. Not really what I had in mind when I bought them.

Also have issues with two others, when connected to the Shelly cloud, just keeping turning back on when turned off. Remove the cloud part of the equation and they work. Kinda defeats the idea I guess, but shall try Home Assistant going forward which was my original plan.

• This is a hardware issue.

I know it seems to have not much sense, but.... I have tested it like a 300 times and I have noticed that:

• when Shelly 1L is upside-down it has this issue 90/100
    • when Shelly 1L is right way up it fails only 20/100
    • in the case when the lights should be OFF, but they are ON, when I tap Shelly 1L housing using some hard object (screwdriver in my case) it turns off. Sometimes it needs 2-3 taps, but usually one tap is enough to turn it off.
    • in the case when the lights should be ON, and they are ON, when I tap Shelly 1L housing using some hard object (screwdriver in my case) NOTHING happens.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if that would NOT be a hardware issue, there is simply no way my "tap-the-Shelly" method would work.

Please, let me know if you have the same findings.

Ok, I've just done some testing and I get similar results, except that it seems to work 100% of the time when the unit is printed side up and 0% of the time when it's printed side down. It doesn't seem to work when it's on its side (i.e. the way it's usually installed behind a light switch). I'd say it's either a dodgy relay or not enough current being fed to the relay to overcome gravity, which sucks as that likely means a hardware fix is needed.

Note that this testing was done with both Neutral and Live attached, but no load on the output.

Hopefully Shelly will do the right thing and change the components/design and swap our ones that aren't working for new ones.

I'm not holding my breath though...

Edited once, last by Thinqer77: clarity, more information ().

• Just heard back from Shelly support and their suggestion was:

"If you do not mind, you can use your units as you described when the unit is oriented label side facing up."

So basically if you want to use this unit reliably then you have to have it laying horizontally on its back, label side facing up. If you want to put it on its side (so it fits behind a light switch) then it probably won't work.

IMHO that's not very useful and makes the product somewhat useless.

• It is ridiculous that they propose something like that.

My experience with Shelly started really well with the Shelly 2.5 used for shutter control.

However, my recent experience with the Shelly 1L and the bypass is making me question whether I will continue using their products.

• I registered just to say that I was going mad with the same issue until I read the suggestion of knocking it really hard. I thought it was a crazy solution but it actually worked so it is indeed an hardware issue.

• Hi Guys,

the problem with the shelly 1L is the following:

The switch contact of the relay can get stuck and can no longer be switched.

light tapping on the housing releases the contact again, but not permanently.

an effective help, installation of an inrush current limiter.

LG

Michael

10x Shelly 2.5 ; 19x Shelly1; 3x Shelly 1L mit Bypass und Einschaltstrombegrenzer; 2 x D/W2; 2 x Shelly Plug S, 1x shelly dimmer und 1 Shelly H&T über Cloud, APP und Alexa gesteuert.8o8o8o

9 x Shelly 2,5 und 4 x Shelly1 fremd verbaut, inkl. Cloud und Alexa Sprachsteuerung.

Jeder so wie er kann!  :D

• Problem can be fixed by installing "inrush current limiter" (aka Soft Starter). For example i used MEAN WELL ICL-16L

I had this problem(stuck relay) with 5x Shelly 1L devices and LED lamps. I installed ICL-16L and problem has been fixed! No problem at all.

Now you can put 1L upside-down or any other side, it's just works!

• I bought 6pc shelly 1L, on all same issue. When you hit case hard, relay is unstack, so i suppose hw issue with cheap chinese relay. I created a ticket as I bought directly.

shelly 1L use white small chinese relay rated 4A, shelly 1PM which works ok use bigger one black rated 16A. using inrush CL is not an option for me, even not specified in product specs.