Shelly 1 behind light switch

• IMG_0324.jpegIMG_0323.jpeg

Hi!

I am starting out simple, by trying to connect a Shelly 1 behind a simple light switch. It is an on/off state switch & I would like to automatise it with a shelly. However, I cannot seem to find out exactly how to wire the Shelly. Can someone perhaps show me how to wire it?

I have 5 cables in total:

- an Earth cable going to the light probably(?)

- a neutral wire, directly not connected to the switch

- 2 brown phase cables, connected to the switch. 1 comes from the bottom of the wall box, 1 goes to the top of the wall box.

- 1 black switch wire going to the top of the box (presumably the light).

As you've guessed: I'm not an expert, however I'm willing to try & do this with the power switched off ;)

Can anyone enlighten me on how to connect my shelly?

• Hi Thaan , welcome in the forum. :)

First a hint:

Please post pictures directly here in the forum.

If the links are no longer available later, the users are missing the context. Here in the forum the pictures are preserved. Thank you.

For wiring the Shelly you will find here the corresponding connection pictures.

If you have more questions, just write. ;)

Have fun here. :)

LG / best regards

Stefan

Ich übernehme keine Haftung für von mir gegebene Antworten, Tipps und veröffentlichte Projekte! Jeder ist für sich selbst verantwortlich! Arbeiten an 230V sind in Deutschland von einer Elektrofachkraft auszuführen!

Einsteigertipps / Tips for beginners

Mein System / my system:

Homematic CCU2 + Homematic Charly (CCU3) mit Fremdkopplungen:
    unter Anderen 3x Shelly 1, 4x Shelly 2.5, 1x Shelly Bulb, 5x Shelly Plug S, 1x Shelly RGBW2 und 1x Shelly H&T im Produktivbetrieb.

• Hello Thaan ,

Welcome to this Forum! :)

Look here: ;)

connection diagrams Shelly 1

Beste Grüße

Axel

Theorie ist wenn man alles weiß und nichts funktioniert. Praxis ist wenn alles funktioniert und keiner weiß warum.

Homematic/IP mit CCU3, iOBroker, Shelly (1, 2.5, RGBW2, PlugS, EM), Arduino (Mega 2560, W5100)->Homeduino

Visualisierung (auf iPad Air) mit Mediola AIO CREATOR NEO

Ich übernehme keine Haftung für eventuelle Schäden die aufgrund von Fehlern oder Missinterpretation meiner hier gegebenen Antworten aufgetreten sind oder auftreten werden.

• aah, Stefan was faster! :D:D

Beste Grüße

Axel

Theorie ist wenn man alles weiß und nichts funktioniert. Praxis ist wenn alles funktioniert und keiner weiß warum.

Homematic/IP mit CCU3, iOBroker, Shelly (1, 2.5, RGBW2, PlugS, EM), Arduino (Mega 2560, W5100)->Homeduino

Ich übernehme keine Haftung für eventuelle Schäden die aufgrund von Fehlern oder Missinterpretation meiner hier gegebenen Antworten aufgetreten sind oder auftreten werden.

• No Axel, I'm not fast in principle.;)

8oSo you were too slow. :D

LG / best regards

Stefan

Ich übernehme keine Haftung für von mir gegebene Antworten, Tipps und veröffentlichte Projekte! Jeder ist für sich selbst verantwortlich! Arbeiten an 230V sind in Deutschland von einer Elektrofachkraft auszuführen!

Mein System / my system:

unter Anderen 3x Shelly 1, 4x Shelly 2.5, 1x Shelly Bulb, 5x Shelly Plug S, 1x Shelly RGBW2 und 1x Shelly H&T im Produktivbetrieb.

• Hi guys!

Thank you for the quick responses, I have added the pictures as attachments instead of external images.

Thanks for the connection diagrams! They help, but they are not exactly like my situation: I have 2 brown phase wires going to my switch, so I'm grasping a bit at what to do with them.

I currently had them wired up like this, see attached picture.

The only thing missing is my blue neutral wire: I have to cut it but then it will be too short to add to the clamp, so I have to figure out how I'm going to connect that before I can proceed any further.

But perhaps you can see if this is wired up correctly before I figure out how to connect my neutral wire?

If it's wired wrong anyway & blow up the shelly I need wait for a new order to arrive ^^

• Hello again,

are you sure, that the blue wire is the neutral? Have you checked this?

In the electrical system you can not rely on colors!

Maybe the possibility to connect the Shelly directly to the lamp would be the better choice !?:/

You can find the plan as 2nd picture in this thread.;)

For this, please have a look on this glossary entry, too.

(Thanks for the setting of the pictures here now in the forum.:thumbup:)

LG / best regards

Stefan

Mein System / my system:

• he has no neutral wire! please make a picture from wall box!

the circuit does not work here!!! :huh:

compare your picture and connection diagrams shelly 1!!! What do you see? :/

Beste Grüße

Axel

• Thank you for the suggestion. I have done this according to the 2nd schematic now.

Unfortunately the neutral wire goes directly to the light, and it is too short to cut & tap into it for the shelly. I expect there also won't be enough space in the wallbox behind the switch.

I took off the light outside that the switch connects to & connected the shelly there. However, this gives 2 new challenges:

- There is no continuous live: so when the switch is off, Live is cut off & shelly is off

- The light is a metal box, so shelly doesn't have enough wifi signal, so the signal doesn't go through

That's a bummer, this means shelly simply won't work well here directly behind the light.

I'm still puzzling what to do..

- There is no continuous live: so when the switch is off, Live is cut off & shelly is off

Right, but this is no problem for me.

With correct setup, the light will be turned on if the switch turned on. This is the same function how without Shelly. If switch is on, you have the app-features additionally.

- The light is a metal box, so shelly doesn't have enough wifi signal, so the signal doesn't go through

My is a metal box too, but in my case, the wifi-signal is strong enough.

Maybe you can use a repeater? ;)

LG / best regards

Stefan

Mein System / my system:

• It is 5 meters from the Ubiquiti Amplifi router that it's connected to, so it's really due to the metal box in which the light & shelly are encased. Nothing I can change about that unfortunately I'm afraid.

I have also setup Shelly exactly as you described, it's on auto-on when it gets power, so it functions with the switch with the addition of Shelly functions when power is on. It only means things like a timer will not work if the switch if turned off. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wifi is working at the moment: I read about giving it a static ip which might prevent trouble with the wifi connection & I did that, so we'll see if it keeps working or if it loses connection again in the future.

• :thumbup:

LG / best regards

Stefan

Mein System / my system: